Think Outside the Box…

As an item to cross off the long list of things I must do toward completing our master bath remodel, I added some towel bars to the vanities.

I searched long and hard for a bar that would fit into the 1.5″ width of space I had to work with but alas, I was unsuccessful. I knew exactly what I wanted and exactly what I want I shall have; even if I have to think outside of the box which occurs frequently in our home.

I picked up these Grundtal towel bars from Ikea at a cost of $16. They are about 15″ wide but the mounts were about 2.5″, an inch longer than needed.

grundtal-rail

I contemplated hanging them on the side of the cabinet but Dear Husband wasn’t thrilled with the idea and, quite frankly, neither was I. My solution was to cut them to fit into the narrow width so I could place them in front of the sink bowls. New holes were drilled into them for mounting to the cabinet since the existing ones were cut off when we sized them down. It cost me an extra $11 to have them cut and for the mounting screws.

Violà! Brushed nickel towel bars to match the faucets and sconces, exactly where we wanted them placed. Very simple and clean. (Clean. In our house. Snort.)
new towel bar

I still have to make the doors for the other cabinet, and I filled any crevices on the mirror frames and medicine cabinets. Those will get a stain touchup and the bathroom will receive another coat of paint.

Thinking outside of the box always brings awesome results and moving forward is good. There is nothing better than seeing your plans and hard work come to fruition especially when you know you built it with your own two hands.

Advertisements

Hers…Hollah!!!

Time for a DIY master bath update! I try to keep things on the down low but just can’t contain my excitement when my goals come to fruition. I L.O.V.E. it!!!

Yesterday I finally figured out the leaky vessel sink issue that had me going crazy-and-in-tears frustrated on Monday. Today, I finished out the little mirrored cabinet. This is before the trim I put up. Prior to nailing it in, I did make sure it was level and plumb.

All I can say is that I am very happy that my hubby purchased me one of these last year because it makes my life SO much easier…

Gluing and finishing the trim was a total piece of cake and makes the cabinet look so much better! When I make another trip to the glass shop to have them cut dear hubby’s mirror, I will have them make me some polished glass shelves for it.

Here’s my mirror that I had cut to size and that I framed out. I am still going to add some more trim to the inside as a finish and someday I’ll clean it. 🙂

And now, here is the vanity with my beautiful egg-shaped vessel sink and all the rest of it put together and mounted to the wall. Shhhh, don’t tell my dear hubby, but I may have him lower it just a tad and I don’t think he’ll be too happy about that…

Such hard work to get it all done, but I think it looks like a million bucks and it cost me next to nothing because I used framing lumber and inexpensive trim, yet I know it’s quality stuff because I made it! The mirror frame; mirrored medicine cabinet, and vanity with my own two hands. I even wired my own sconces. The ONLY thing that was a splurge was the sink and it wasn’t even a splurge because it cost me less than anything we could find in a big box store. Oh, the cabinet itself will still get some sliding doors but I haven’t gotten there yet.

Now to get dear hubby’s side done. I am on a roll people!! Watch out!

Lights, Camera, Water!

Not a photography post, but a DIY one.

I am slowly making it to my first goal in the bathroom. I finally got my sconces installed today and yes, I did it myself! Big smiles for me. I did call my brother a couple of times to confirm some things but, overall, I am glad I tackled it. See the brand new gang box below? Yup, I did that. 😀

Dear husband helped me get some sheet rock back up too. Yesterday I sealed the plumbing so I can hook up her sink. No biggie, just some PVC glue. My youngest helped me install the compression fittings on the hot and cold pipes a few weeks ago . Here he is sanding the copper for a nice clean fit.

image

So after all these months, I am thinking I will have a working vanity by early next week. Before I do, I have to position another electrical box above the medicine cabinet. I did a first coating of tape and joint compound so it looks a little rough right now but I have faith!

Here’s to installing brand new electrical, a good day’s work, and the light at the end of the tunnel. I can’t wait to show you my beautiful sinks!!!

image

Enjoy! –Angela

Mirror Mirror…

Yay for DIYing and getting stuff done! We picked out the sinks and faucets, and this week I took care of the mirrors for the “her” side of the vanity area.

The medicine cabinet mirror is a perfect fit…

I took the existing mirror to get cut down to size and found a great local glass place that did it for $10 and polished the edges too! Next stop was the hardware store for some nice pine that cost $16 to frame out the mirror. I routed out the inside edges to set the mirror into and put it all together with my Kreg Jig.

image

I know you’re eyeballing my workbench, and yes, I built that too. 😀 Below is a simple frame for a simple mirror because we are simple people…

image

The only thing left to do is stain everything and glue those mirrors down. I am seeing a light at the end of this tunnel! By the way, I did pick out sconces yesterday. I decided I needed to balance out the mirror. It’s going to be great! Can’t wait for those sinks to get here!